04 Aug Work Zone Safety
Driving Safely in and Around Work Zones
Summer is in full swing and that means construction. In Oregon, summer construction is sadly combined with limited visibility due to wildfires. This can be a dangerous combination if the driver is not alert to the unexpected. Here is a reminder of some safe driving tips for drivers.
Stay Alert and Minimize Distraction
- Dedicate your full attention to the roadway.
- Avoid changing the radio station, using a cell phone, eating, or any other distractions that can remove your concentration from the road.
Turn Your Headlights On, Even if it isn’t Required by Law
Pay Attention to the Road
- Read and follow the signs.
- Watch for brake lights on vehicles ahead.
- Watch for traffic around you, and be prepared to react.
Merge into the Proper Lane
- Merge well before you reach the lane closure.
- Be aware that traffic patterns can change daily.
- Follow other vehicles from a safe distance.
Know Before You Go
- Check radio, TV, and websites for traffic information and schedule enough time to drive safely.
- Expect delays and leave early so you can reach your destination on time.
Obey the Posted Speed Limit
- Normal speeds may be reduced, traffic lanes may be closed, narrowed, or shifted. People may be working on or near the road.
- Fines may be doubled for moving traffic violations.
- Be prepared to slow down further if conditions indicate the need.
Change Lanes Safely
- Change lanes only when pavement markings indicate, and only when traffic conditions permit.
Follow Instructions from Flaggers
- Flaggers are often used to stop and direct traffic in work zones.
Expect the Unexpected
- Workers, work vehicles, or equipment may enter your lane without warning.
- Other vehicles may slow, stop, or change lanes unexpectedly.
Be Patient and Stay Calm. Work Zone crew members are working to improve the road and make your future drive safer and better.
Source: WorkZoneSafety.org 08.04.2021
Bancorp’s insurance experts are available to provide you with a free review and consultation. Contact Us – Bancorp Insurance Call 800-452-6826
Disclaimer: This content is provided for general information purposes and is not intended to be used in place of consultation with our agents.