11 Jun Mandated Health Insurance Coverages Protect You!
The Affordable Care Act mandates that certain coverage’s must be included in individual and small group health insurance plans sold effective Jan 1 2014. Many of the following coverage’s like prescription drugs were not included in old basic health insurance plans, unless you added them via a rider or endorsement for an additional cost. That is no longer the case.
All plans will include the following coverage’s.
- Ambulatory (outpatient) services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance abuse disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care.
- Laboratory services
Mind you even if you will never use the maternity and newborn care it will be part of the basic policy. No, you cannot save money by cutting it out. It is a package deal. This is even true in the open market insurance policies, the essential benefits must include these coverage’s. The mandated coverage’s were designed to protect the consumer. When the ACA law was passed many consumers felt coverage for things like prescription drugs or help managing chronic diseases like diabetes or high blood pressure should be included in their basic health insurance coverage plans. Now it is.
Have a great day.
PS: If you want to sign up for Bancorp’s Cover Oregon Update go https://bancorpinsurance.com/research-center/cover-oregon-obamacare