Barn Fire Safety is an important part of farm life. In Central Oregon it’s the time of year where you might be spending more time indoors trying to stay warm. People, animals, and property are in danger when a fire breaks out on the farm. Inspect your barn and outbuildings for fire hazards to reduce the risk of tragic loss.
Barn Fire Safety Tips to Prevent Loss
- Heat lamps and space heaters are kept a safe distance from anything that can burn.
- Heaters are on a sturdy surface and cannot fall over.
- Electrical equipment is labeled for agricultural or commercial use.
- All wiring is free from damage.
- Extension cords are not used in the barn.
- Lightbulbs have covers to protect them from dust, moisture, and breakage.
- Damage is identified quickly, and repairs are completed with safety in mind.
- Dust and cobwebs around electrical outlets and lights are removed.
- Oily rags are stored in a closed, metal container away from heat.
- Feed, hay, straw, and flammable liquids are stored away from the main barn.
- The barn is a smoke-free zone.
- Exits are clearly marked and pathways are clear.
- Fire drills are held frequently with everyone who uses the barn.
- Workers are trained to use fire extinguishers.
- Everyone in the barn knows personal safety is the first priority if a fire breaks out.
- Hazard checks take place on a set schedule.
Required Equipment for Barn Fire Safety
The following safety equipment may be required by local building codes and will help protect your barn. Install and maintain:
- ABC-type fire extinguishers near every exit and within 50 feet from any point in the barn.
- Fire alarm system
- Sprinkler system
- Carbon monoxide detection system
Talk with your local fire department to address safety concerns to your farm. Talk with your insurance agent about coverage for your barns, outhouses and other dwellings as part of your home insurance policy.
Go to www.nfpa.org/farms to learn more about barn fire safety on the farm.
Bancorp’s insurance agents are available to provide you with a free review and consultation. Contact Us – Bancorp Insurance Call 800-452-6826
Disclaimer: This content is provided for general information purposes and is not intended to be used in place of consultation with our agents.